Do you find 24 hours less? Here are 11 simple time management tips to boost your productivity
“You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you just have to make it, by mastering the art of time management!”
Krunal Modi: One of the most important skills required to live a successful and at the same time balanced life is that of time management – yes you read it right! Each person is given the same number of hours every day; it is the job of the person to make the most of it. In order to accomplish this, one must remember the age-old adage, “work smarter, not harder”. So here are some useful time management tips that will make you boost your productivity and ace your day:
- Set daily goals: Setting daily goals is the most important aspect of time management. This should be done the night before or first thing in the morning after waking up. Generally, people tend to ignore this step and eventually wasting a lot of time during the day thinking about what to do next. These goals should be written down on a piece of paper and it has to be stuck in such a place where it will give you a constant reminder. If you travel long distances for work, you can also type your daily goals and put it as your mobile wallpaper! It may sound like a lot of effort, but it’s completely worth it!
- Prioritize: Most of the people keep talking about prioritizing work, but generally don’t know how to effectively implement this. In the book ‘First Things First’, Stephen Covey talks about a very simple technique for prioritizing our tasks. For this we must divide our tasks into 4 categories:
- Important and urgent- tasks that have to be done right away.
- Important but not urgent- tasks that are important too, but need not be done urgently. Set a time frame to do it in the second half of the day.
- Urgent but not important- these are tasks which distract us from our important goals, for eg., sending emails, picking up calls, etc. Such tasks must be delegated if possible.
- Not urgent and not important- these are the least important tasks. One must do them later or while they are travelling, etc.
- Stop multitasking: Contrary to popular belief, multitasking is a time killer. While multitasking, our mind is not focused on the job at hand. We try to shift our focus from one thing to another continuously which ultimately ends up hampering our productivity. Hence, the job which could have been completed in an hour might take one and a half hour or maybe even two!
- Keep your brain healthy: Keeping the brain healthy is a vital step to increase productivity. Sleep for 7-8 hours, this helps the brain to remain alert. Exercise or meditate every day, this exercises the brain and gives us a boost of energy. After doing this, tackle the mammoth tasks first as the energy levels are high and we are fresh!
- Set a time limit for tasks: Challenge yourself! Set a time limit for each task and try hard to complete it within that time frame itself. By doing this, you are challenging your brain to be more focused and efficient. This helps to save time and finish the tasks faster, better and earlier!
- Take regular breaks: Working continuously is not the key to time management. If we work continuously, we are bound to get frustrated. In order to prevent this, taking regular 10-15 minutes breaks between tasks in very crucial. It restores energy. Listen to a high-beat song to feel motivated or just close your eyes and relax!
- Say NO to things which waste your time: To learn time management you first have to master the art of saying no. It is very essential to say NO to those tasks which waste your time or which can be delegated. Focus all your time and energy on the goals set by you. Eliminate all the unessential things from your schedule!
- Delegate some work: We must understand that we aren’t robots and cannot do everything. Sometimes we might have to distribute our work and there is nothing wrong in doing so. Assign certain less important tasks to the people who you trust and do not stress yourself with too much work.
- Identify the areas in which you are wasting too much time: Sometimes we must sit down and evaluate our schedule. We might be wasting or spending more amount of time in tasks which can be completed faster. Identifying this is very important. Generally, people cannot do this because they feel that they are not spending extra time in tasks, but we should show our schedule to some other person who will think of it from a neutral point of view and might provide us a better way of planning our tasks, who knows!
- Switch off app alerts: If you want to master time management, then you definitely cannot miss this one. This is my personal favourite and undoubtedly the most effective way to avoid wastage of time. Switch off your Instagram, Snapchat & Messenger alerts. Only keep the notifications on for important business chats. In this way our mind won’t waver from the task at hand due to some silly messages and break our focus.
- Focus on yourself: Last but not the least, one must always focus on oneself and accomplish the tasks decided by him/her. One must always remember to not let external forces affect his/her concentration and confidence levels. Just believe in yourself and accomplish everything you were destined to!
Also read: Don’t be a victim of stress, make it your strength. Here’s how:
Disclaimer: The above article is curated based on limited and publicly available open source information. The views and opinions expressed therein and all data and information so provided is solely for informational purposes, to be used at the sole discretion of the reader. If you disagree with any article or any part thereof, please contact us and we will resolve the issue at the earliest. KyaBae makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.